Wednesday 17 December 2014

Eggless Vanilla Cake with Christmas Special Icing




There's a chill in the breeze and Christmas prep everywhere. Christmas really rings the holiday bells and reminds me of the time when I was a kid in school and eagerly waited for the winter holidays; not much has changed in that regard. It is still the best time of the year and one cannot help but be enveloped in the much awaited joy that spills all around Christmas time.



With less than 10 days to go, the homes, the streets, the shops are all decorated in the familiar red and green, white and gold. Meanwhile the blogosphere too is abuzz with Christmas greetings, holiday ideas, Diys and my favorite of all Christmas special recipes. There is a whole lot of awesome Christmas special recipes being posted by food bloggers all over the world and I wanted to be a part of it, too.



Traditional Christmas recipes are numerous and fabulous, however, sometimes a simple idea can give your year round favorite recipe a Christmas flavor. This post today is in that spirit. For my Christmas celebrations, I decided to go for my easy, simple, fail proof vanilla sponge cake recipe and dressed it up for Christmas in white, red and green.I didn't really have to make much effort but the beauty I had in the end was remarkable. For a while I didn't even want to slice my cake, but what needs to be done needs to be done, right?




I have heard a lot of people say that holidays can be a tough time; those people probably don't eat cakes. They must be given a big slice of cake with a cherry on top, or even the whole cake if need be.
Of course, I say this in the holiday spirit. Otherwise I am not one to share my piece of cake.



Ohh! And if the cake doesn't work, try giving them a smile.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Much Love.



Ingredients: 

Plain flour- 1 and a half cup
Baking soda- 1 tsp
Salt- 1/4 tsp

Thick curd- 1 cup
Sugar- 3/4 cup
Oil- 1/4 cup
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp

Recipe:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

Sieve first three ingredients together in a bowl.

In another bowl, dissolve sugar in curd. Add oil and vanilla and stir.

Lightly grease a cake tin and dust with some flour.

Add wet curd mixture to flour mixture and stir with a whip to form a batter. The batter will be thick but of dropping consistency. Do not over mix the batter, just enough to bring all ingredients together.

Pour batter to cake tin. Tap gently on the counter a couple of times to remove air bubbles if any and to spread the batter evenly.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Your cake is done if a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.


For frosting:

Slather a thick layer of whipped fresh cream on top of the cake.

Place two sprigs of pine or you can use evergreen sprigs like I did.

Place some cherries on top.

Your cake is ready for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment