Monday 24 November 2014

Eggless Chocolate Cake (Vegan)






What's better than the smell of a cake baking in the oven? It's the smell of a chocolate cake baking in the oven.

I have taken to consuming too much chocolate lately, especially in caked and baked goods. This eggless chocolate cake recipe today is a result of that slowly shaping addiction. I had been craving a chocolate cake since I was sick last week. I waited until my sister came home for her semester break and then we baked this cake together as I measured, sifted and mixed ingredients together, preheated the oven and put the cake to bake and she sat in the kitchen watching the latest episodes of Castle on my laptop. She is usually a sweet little help, but this time she said that she would help only if I let her do the batter mixing and pouring it in the cake pan and not just fetching me the whip or greasing the pan. I weighed my options and let her stare on the laptop screen.





I caught a whiff of my chocolate cake after about 20 minutes of baking. I excitedly asked her if she could smell it too. She cringed her nose and shook her head. Finally I went to take the cake out of the oven and that was when she said that she could smell it. And I thought the one who cooks is generally the last to smell his dish.



The cake was beautifully risen and spongy. I let it cool and set about making arrangements to click it. I always have to overcome the temptation of trying to take the cake out of the pan before it cools down. There's nothing like warm cakes, and this one was a chocolate cake of all things!



I think no matter how many cakes I bake, I will always feel the same excitement while taking a knife to it. It is an unspoken reward to find your cake perfectly baked, soft and stiff at the same time. No gooey thing sticking to the knife. It is satisfaction on a deeper level than just having a cake. I understood this when I started baking.

This is an easy recipe to remember and to put together. Enjoy this cake.

P.S. This one was all gone before I began writing this post!



Ingredients:

Flour- 1 and a half cups
Baking soda- 1tsp
Salt- 1/2 tsp
Cocoa powder- 3 tbsp
Sugar- 1 cup
Water- 1 cup
Oil- 1/3 cup
Lemon juice- 1 tsp
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp

Recipe:

Preheat oven at 180 degree C.

Sift first four ingredients together in a bowl, twice.

In another bowl, dissolve sugar in water. Add oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir well.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to form a batter. Do not over mix. Avoid lumps.

The batter will not be very thick.

Pour batter into a greased 7" cake pan and tap it on kitchen counter to remove any bubbles.

Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Take out  of the oven and let cool in the pan before removing it.



No comments:

Post a Comment