Friday 21 November 2014

DIY Savory Indian Snack Mix






Having been terribly sick over the week, I realised this contrary to popular belief, "when sick, you will do all things except the things you would love to". Cooking, in this instance, which explains why I have been unable to post anything here.

Over the week, being propped up on medication which made me sleepy, I had to manage writing articles for clients among other editing and proofing work. I am sure the way I would look at my laptop screen would fetch me the nickname "Squinto" had my friends been around. Nevertheless, I did the work as and when I could but what I desperately missed was cooking. I knew it would make me feel better. I kept imagining various flavors in my mouth and wanted to cook but all energy I had was spent on staring at the laptop screen and moving the fingers on the keyboard.



That was until this morning when I woke up feeling slightly better and decided it was time to create something for myself. Well, a smaller part of this determination was due to my feeling better and the larger part was due to me wanting to have my favorite snack mix that is made of beaten rice. It helped that the recipe did not require much effort. I was sick and I was craving a particular thing. Could you blame me?





It was pure luck that I had all things available. Oh well! It's a snack mix. There are no hard and fast rules about what to add and how much to add. So when I say all things were available, it is because I did not have to be stuck because of a missing ingredient. That's what I like most about snack mixes.

This particular snack mix is probably the humblest version of a snack mix I could create and though I had my doubts, it proved to be one of the best and easiest snack mixes. I am munching on it as I write. It is a pleasure, indeed. But I am squinting again and feel like the fever is catching up to me again. I better finish this fast.




And trust me, it is much better to make snack mixes at home than to buy them from stores. It is easier, tastier and cheaper to make snack mixes at home.




Ingredients:

Beaten rice (poha, use the thinner variety)- 250 gm
Puffed rice (murra)- 100 gm
Peanuts- 1 cup
Split Bengal gram- 1 cup
Barik sev- 1-2 cups
Oil- 3-4 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Turmeric powder- 3/4 tsp
Red chilly powder- 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Recipe:

Make sure poha and murra are all dry and crisp. If not, spread on a large plate or a clean cloth and keep in direct sunlight for a couple of hours.

Take a large wok and heat oil in it.

Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, all powdered spices. Add peanuts and bengal gram and fry for a minute. Do not let burn. Maintain the flame.

Now add poha, murra and barik sev into the wok.

Add salt and mix thoroughly.

Keep flame low and let the mixture warm up. Stir occasionally.

Remove from flame and let it cool down. Do not cover.

Once cooled, store in airtight containers up to one and a half weeks.

Enjoy with evening tea or any time just like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment