Saturday 27 September 2014

Dry Fruits Kheer




Fasting is something of a Catch 22. On the one hand you learn to resist temptations and on the other it's the time for indulgence. While you are allowed only a limited food items, those allowed are the richest and the best. Take for instance this dry fruits kheer. It's what's you are supposed to be eating when observing a fast. It is a popular Navratri special recipe and includes loads of dry fruits, your favorite ones, is very nutritious too. And talk about flavors! It's thickened, sweetened milk with your favorite dry fruits. Thank the Navratras!

What I like best about dry fruits kheer is that I can easily adjust the sweetness of the dish. I prefer mine less sweet than most I believe.It may reflect in the quantity of sugar I have used in the recipe. But like I said, adjust it to your liking. 

Since I wanted to do this post early in the day so you guys can prepare it tonight, I actually had it for breakfast. It made my day! And do you know what the best part is? I am not even keeping these fasts and yet getting to eat all these delicious things. Guilty!

You guys enjoy this kheer while I go and look if some of it is remaining in the kitchen.

Ingredients:

Milk- 2 cups
Mixed dry fruits (almonds, walnuts, pista, raisins, etc.)- 1/2 cup 
Makhana- 1/2 cup
Rajgir- 1/4 cup
Sugar- 5 tbsp (adjust)
Green cardamom- 2-3 nos
Saffron- a few strands
Ghee- 3 tbsp

Recipe:

Heat ghee in a pan.

Add dry fruits and makhana and roast.

Let cook. Chop/slice dry fruits as desired.Slightly crush makhanas.

In a pan, warm milk and add dry fruits, makhana, rajgir, sugar, crushed cardamon and saffron, saving a few strands for garnishing.

Bring to a boil and let simmer for 7-8 minutes until thickened to your likeability. Not too thick though.

Garnish with a few strands of saffron and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment