Monday 14 July 2014

Raw Banana Curry



I am sure not a lot of people are familiar with this use of raw bananas. To those, I want to say, "you are in for   a delight!" And those who are familiar know what I am talking about.

There are numerous health benefits of eating raw bananas as they hide within them a wealth of nutrients. But I am not going to get into those here. I am going to focus on taste. This curry is one of my favorites for 2 reasons. First, it is a welcome change in taste to the everyday vegetables that sometimes bore me to death. Second, it is such a darling when it comes to washing, peeling and cutting. Yeah! I can be lazy sometimes.


Raw Banana Curry


I also posted a Raw Banana Chips recipe a while back. Check it out too while you are here.

So the next time you see raw bananas in the market, grab a few and try out these recipes. I am sure you will always be looking for raw bananas in the market after that.


Ingredients:

Raw banana- 1/2 kg
Onion- 1 big, diced
Tomato- 1/2 cup, diced
Ginger- 1 tbsp, grated
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly powder- 1tsp (adjust to taste)
Coriander powder- 2 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
Oil- 3-4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing

Recipe:

Wash and peel bananas. Cut length wise and then cut into 1" pieces.

Heat oil in a pan.

Add cumin seeds.

Add onions and saute for a minute.

Add bananas. Mix, cover and cook covered on low flame for 10 minutes with occasional stirring.

Add all powdered spices and salt.

Add tomatoes and ginger.

Mix well.

Add 1/2- 1 cup of water.

Cover and let simmer till bananas are cooked well and the desired thickness of curry is achieved.

Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.

Serve hot with chapatis or rice.

Tips:

You can also add a tbsp of chopped garlic for a variation in taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment